- TAHMO’s goal is to install 20,000 on-the-ground sensing stations every 30 km across the African continent, specifically designed to provide rainfall, temperature, and other critical data from robust redundant sensors uploading by cell-phone in real time. TAHMO will make this high-quality data freely available to governments, scientists and farmers on the Internet for various applications including improving agricultural productivity, providing early warning for floods, and information required to provide short-term weather and long-term climate forecasts.
- Schools joining the TAHMO network can purchase an automatic weather station for both their own school for $4000, which includes the station installation and 3 years of maintenance.
- Schools are required to provide a safe outdoor location for the permanent placement of a weather station, perform general monthly weather station maintenance, and attend a professional development workshop about TAHMO.
- Data can be used to enhance activities with sister schools across the globe by comparing climates and weather. Many of the lesson plans provided make use of real-time weather data in the classroom. The weather information is also shared publicly through the School-2-School website for additional research and agricultural applications.
- More information can be found in our introduction packet- a great resource for all schools with TAHMO weather stations! Here is the link for the informational packet: https://school2school.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/S2S_framework_binder.pdf
Join TAHMO’s School-2-School network and enjoy:
- Cross-cultural exchange with a sister school in Africa, Europe, or the United States
- Communication and collaborative educational activities with your sister school
- Access to real-time weather data collected at both your school and your sister school
- Creative and new lesson plans incorporating global issues into your classroom
Interested in participating?
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- School’s full name +grade range + number of students and teachers
- Website of the school (if applicable)
- Information about access to resources: power, Internet, computers, cell phone services, 3G cell phone capacity, etc.
- Picture of the school site
Commonly asked questions:
- What routine maintenance is required and with what frequency?
Every month, a teacher should wipe off the solar sensor and check the rain gauge for leaves/twigs. More detailed cleaning instructions are available on this handout (click here to access weather station cleaning handout).
- If there is a problem, who do I contact?
Contact the School2School coordinator or your TAHMO country representative.
- How do we access the data?
Students, teachers, community members have access to collected weather data at School2School.net website, teachers can request a login and password to download the data for their school
- I have a lesson plan, discussion topic, or other resources that I’d like to share with the TAHMO community, how do I do that?
Great! We’d love to have you share your lesson plan, a discussion topic, or another resource with fellow teachers? Email them to TAHMO at email@example.com where they will be reviewed and added to the appropriate list!